Library of Publications for Everyone
Library of Publications for Educators
Critical Thinking Academy
learn critical thinking in your own time
Reading and Writing Alcove
Wheel of Reason
Triangle of Thinking, Feelings, and Desires
Wall of Barriers
Critical Thinking Cafe
Book Studies with Members
Blog with Dr. Linda Elder and Dr. Gerald Nosich
Already Have an Account? Sign In
Back to Wall of Barriers ◀
Identify When Someone Was Trying to Manipulate You
Think of a situation in which someone you know was trying to selfishly manipulate you into doing something incompatible with your interests.
Complete these statements:
1. The situation was as follows...
2. This person, x, was trying to manipulate me in the following way (by giving me these reasons for going along with him/her)...
3. At the time, these reasons (did/did not) seem reasonable because...
4. I believe this person was trying to manipulate me because...
5. I think the real (irrational) reason why s/he wanted me to go along with his/her reasoning is because...
6. The consequences of this manipulation were...
Next Activity: Focus on a Time when you Did Not Get What You Selfshly Wanted ►